Looking for Affordable Dentures to replace all your upper or lower teeth?
Traditional dentures are the least expensive way to replace all the teeth in an arch. While most people dread dentures because it’s a sign of getting older, everyone agrees that removing dead and dying teeth and cleaning up infection improves overall health and creates a more confident smile.
Benefits of Affordable Dentures:
- Low Cost: It’s the least expensive way to replace a full arch of teeth.
- A Full Mouth Solution: They provide a full arch of teeth for chewing and smiling.
- Beautiful Esthetics with New Teeth: They can be designed with your ideal smile in mind, whether your ideal smile was what you used to have or a smile you always wished you’d had.
- No More Toothaches: No more teeth means no more toothaches!
- Boosted Confidence: A smile full of teeth feels great after a mouthful of broken down and missing teeth.
So Why Doesn’t Everyone Choose Affordable Dentures?
Dentures are inexpensive and look great when they are well designed, but they also create inconvenient issues that not everyone is willing to put up with.
- Bone Loss: Without teeth or implants, bone continually resorbs leaving continually less support for the denture.
- Gum Sores: Gums absorb all the pressure of chewing and this can be uncomfortable and cause painful gum sores.
- Mouth Infections: Dentures can cause yeast and bacterial infections in the mouth.
- Altered Facial Appearance: Bone loss in jaws without teeth causes jaws to shorten, leaving extra skin to wrinkle and causing a collapsed old man appearance.
- Dentures Move: They always have some degree of mobility. They wiggle and wobble during chewing and speech. As bone loss progresses, the mobility increases.
- Changed Speech: Their mobility can change how people speak. Teeth are a big part of how we make certain sounds, so moving teeth change how we say some words.
- Difficulty Eating: To effectively bite into something hard or chewy, teeth have to be immobile. The ever-present wiggle of denture teeth makes it more difficult to eat hard or chewy foods like steak or grilled chicken, raw fruits and vegetables, beef jerky or sweets like taffy.
- A Less Healthy Diet: Because chewing gets more challenging, dentures make peoples’ diets shift toward more soft foods. This shift favors starchy, high-carb, processed foods and limits nutrient rich fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Premature Aging: Dentures change appearance, diet, and speech making people look older and feel older.
- Psychological Price: Anytime people have to remove their teeth at night it impacts how they feel about themselves. This effect combined with the ways that dentures speed aging, change facial appearance and affect speech mean that dentures often have a more powerful negative impact on patients than partial dentures.
Can’t We Fix These Problems Somehow?
Yes, we can. Converting a regular denture to an Implant Overdenture stabilizes the denture, eliminating rock and taking the pressure off the gums. This makes it easier to eat a healthy diet and talk normally. The implants also slow bone loss. The simple step of stabilizing the denture and slowing bone loss reduces all the of the negatives mentioned above with the exception of the psychological price of removable teeth. (In order to eliminate the negative psychological impact of removable teeth, the removable denture has to be replaced with a fixed bridge called ‘All-on-4’)
Read on our implant services page to learn more about what’s involved in getting an overdenture or All-on-4.
But I Can’t Afford Anything But Traditional Dentures!
When money is tight, it can be really frustrating to hear a dentist telling you that dentures, the only option you can afford, are difficult. If this is your situation, don’t lose hope. When implants seem out of the question for a patient, I remind them of three things:
- A denture is ALWAYS healthier than infected teeth or no teeth.
- You can add implants later: Get your denture now so that your mouth can heal and you can chew. Save your money for the implants. Even having as few as two implants can stabilize a denture dramatically.
- Implants are not always as expensive as people imagine. Our office partners with several banking institutions to provide our patients with lending options. Payments plans make treatment today possible.
Overdenture with Two Implants by Dr. Bec